Friday, April 9, 2021

Gotha 242/244 Build part 1

 Gotha 242/244

As part of my thirty day build I am building a Gotha 242 transport Glider. The luftwaffe transport glider was produced to support airborne operations and seen service in the Mediterranean, Aegean, North Africa and Russia. Normally towed by a JU-52 or a Heinkel He111. A total of 1538 were built with a number of variations including a twin engined motorised version the 244. 

I am keen just to build a static Gotha 242 vehicle transporter version with transport vehicle either a kubel or with Kettenkrad being unloaded. I have decided to build the 242 B1, which jettisoned its wheels on take off and used sleds for landing. I will be using the italeri 242/244 model which looks quite good, and close without major changes. I will mark mine as per the video below for the landing in Sicily. 


The kit looks quite simple, to start with I have removed the interior pieces ready for painting and assembled the cabin.



A video of some of the 242 gliders landing in Sicily 




cheers
Matt


No comments:

Post a Comment